In February 2019, Netflix renewed the series for a second season, after Netflix revealed the viewership of the series within its first four weeks. The second season was released on January 17, 2020.
On February 10, 2020, it was announced that Netflix has renewed the series for a third season. The news came after the launch of its second season in January 2020. Netflix made the announcement in a video featuring Alistair Petrie. It will be released on September 17, 2021.
Socially awkward teenager Otis Milburn is ambivalent about sex, despite his mother being a sex therapist who is frank about all aspects of sexuality. After inadvertently assisting the school bully with his sexual performance anxiety, Otis sets up a sex advice business with Maeve—a confident but vulnerable classmate—to educate their fellow students in how to deal with their own sexual problems.
On 28 November 2017, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order. The series was created by Laurie Nunn with Ben Taylor expected to direct, who also executive produced. Executive producers were set to include Jamie Campbell and Joel Wilson via their production company Eleven Film. December 4, 2018, Netflix unveiled first look images and announced that the series would premiere on January 11, 2019.
On February 1, 2019, Netflix renewed the series for a second season. Creator Laurie Nunn will continue to executive produce alongside Eleven’s Jamie Campbell and Ben Taylor, who served as a director on season one with Kate Herron. Sian Robins-Grace co-executive produces. November 11, 2019, Netflix unveiled first look images and announced on November 25, 2019 that the series would premiere on January 17.
May 17, 2018, Gillian Anderson, Asa Butterfield, Ncuti Gatwa, Connor Swindells, and Kedar Williams-Stirling joined the series main cast. On September 24, 2020, Jason Isaacs, Jemima Kirke and Dua Saleh joined the series cast.
Filming for the first series took place in the Wye Valley in England and Wales, including locations in Llandogo, Tintern, and also in Penarth in 2018. The scenes set at Moordale Secondary School were filmed at the former campus of the University of South Wales in Caerleon, Newport. Production on season two took place in spring 2019 in the UK.
The third season shoot of the series was among the latest UK productions impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Eleven Film was due to go into production on the series in Wales in May 2020, but plans changed amid strict social distancing measures being extended for a least another three weeks. Netflix had a hopeful target of August, 2020 to get the series back into production amid the coronavirus pandemic, but it wasn't officially as the situation with COVID-19 developed quickly. The series officially went into production in September 2020 in Wales. Netflix announced production had officially started in a video post on Twitter.
- ‘Sex Education’ Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix
- ‘Sex Education’: Netflix Renews British Comedy For Third Season
- ‘Sex Education’: Netflix Sets Season 3 Fall Premiere Date, Unveils First-Look Photos
- Netflix Lines Up Teen Sex Comedy Drama ‘Sex Education’
- Netflix Unveils First Look At Gillian Anderson In British Comedy Drama ‘Sex Education’
- Netflix Unveils First Look At Second Season Of Brit-Com ‘Sex Education’
- ‘Sex Education’: Netflix Sets Premiere Date For Season 2 Of High School Drama
- Gillian Anderson & Asa Butterfield Join Netflix Dramedy ‘Sex Education’
- ttention students! we are delighted to welcome *checks curriculum* @jemima_jo_kirke, @doitlikedua and @therealjasonisaacs to moordale
- ‘Sex Education’: Jason Isaacs, Jemima Kirke & Dua Saleh Join Season 3 Of Netflix Teen Comedy-Drama
- WHERE IS 'SEX EDUCATION' FILMED?
- ‘Sex Education’ Season 3 Shoot Delayed As UK Government Extends Coronavirus Lockdown
- Netflix Hoping To Start Shooting ‘Sex Education’ In August As Part Of UK Production Reboot Plans
- NEWS : Sex Education S3 is officially in production
- ‘Sex Education’: Netflix Teen Comedy-Drama Resumes Production On Season 3
- Netflix Breaks Out Viewership Numbers For ‘You’, ‘Sex Education’, ‘Elite’